Fall 2017 Freshman Program Information!
Below you will find information to help prepare you for your New Student Orientation session. This information is for Fall Freshman attending a two-day orientation session.
Please be advised that as of June 5th, all USC students will have to go through a Multifactor Verification in order to access all USC domains, including my.sc.edu. Without completing this verification, you will not be able to register or view any information for Orientation or register for your courses. For more information, including steps to sign up, please follow the links below or contact UTS at 803-777-1800.
Parking for New Student Orientation will be in the Bull Street Garage.
Check-in for New Student Orientation will take place in Patterson Hall beginning at 8:00am. Patterson Hall is directly across the street from the Bull Street Garage.
For other important locations during New Student Orientation make sure to visit our Directions page. New Student Orientation will last until approximately 5:00pm on Day 2, so please plan accordingly.
At check-in you will receive your comprehensive schedule and be able to check into your overnight accommodations. A light continental breakfast will be served during the check-in period.
ALL FRESHMAN STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO STAY OVERNIGHT IN SIMS HALL ON DAY 1 OF ORIENTATION.
If you selected to spend the night prior to New Student Orientation on campus (pre-event accommodations), you will report to Patterson Hall for room check-in. Preferred check-in time for overnight accommodations is between 2:00 and 4:00PM. Conference Housing can be reached at 803-777-6636 if you need to make special arrangements for a later check-in.
Before you arrive:
- Make sure you complete all the action items on the checklist for new freshmen. You can locate the checklist and track your progress in Self Service Carolina. Failure to complete these items BEFORE New Student Orientation will impact you ability to register for classes and fully participate in orientation activities.
- Watch the Pre-Orientation Advising Module and complete your Advising Worksheet. The module will prepare you for academic advising as well as help you complete you Advising Worksheet.
- Take your Math Placement Test online. The exam is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, so it may be taken at your convenience. This should be done at least 2 weeks prior to your New Student Orientation session. For more information, visit http://assess.math.sc.edu/public/MPTGuide.pdf
- Register to take your Foreign Language Placement Test. Testing is scheduled to occur the day before each session begins. You may not take the FLPE during your orientation session. Language placement testing is administered on campus and by appointment only. You must register in advance for your test, and please note that signing up for a language test is a SEPARATE process from registration for New Student Orientation. For more information and to register for your placement exam, visit http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/dllc/faq or call
- Remember to like us on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter.
- You must bring a government issued ID, so that you may obtain your Carolina Card.
- Students will need your VIP ID and password throughout orientation, so please plan to memorize it or write it down in advance of your session.
- Bring relative correspondence including transcripts, AP/IB scores, immunization records, Advising Worksheet, etc.
- Remember to wear/bring comfortable clothing and walking shoes- plan on a significant amount of walking throughout the two-day session. If you or any of your guests do not have the ability to walk distances of several blocks or up and down stairs, please include that information in the “Special Accommodations” section on the reservation form so that we can accommodate you accordingly.
- You may wish to bring a sweater or sweatshirt as buildings are air-conditioned and may vary in temperature.
- You may also want to bring an umbrella and/or rain jacket because Columbia is prone to summer afternoon rain showers.
- Carolina Dining will provide your meals throughout the New Student Orientation session, so you will not need to plan your own meals during this time, unless you are arriving the day before or staying the day after your session. As a reminder, if you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please make us aware of that in the “Special Accommodations” section of the reservation form so we can have appropriate meals available for you.
- For those staying on campus, linens and towels will be provided for you upon your arrival. However, please plan to bring toiletries and any other personal items you may need.