3 people die each day from alcohol poisoning,
the majority under the age of 21!
What is Alcohol Poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning occurs when the depressant effects of alcohol begin to shutdown the body's functions.
Signs of Alcohol Poisoning:
- Stupor or unconsciousness
- Cool or damp skin
- Weak, rapid pulse
- Shallow and irregular breathing
- Pale or bluish skin (Note: Among African-American and/or darker skinned people, color changes can be apparent in the fingernail beds, mucous membranes, inside the mouth or underneath the eyelids
- Vomiting while sleepy or in a stupor (at risk for choking on vomit; a leading cause of alcohol-related deaths)
50% of all college students have reported having to take care of an intoxicated friend or roommate. Do you know what to do?
What should you do if you think someone may have alcohol poisoning?
- Seek medical help immediately.
- Seek the help of a Residential Advisor (R.A.) on duty.
- Lie individual on his or her side, with the head slightly lower than the rest of the body. This will prevent blockage of the airway and possible asphyxiation if the drinker starts to vomit.
- Do not leave the individual alone.
Even if you are not sure how serious the situation is, it is wise to seek assistance and medical help for those who could have alcohol poisoning as soon as possible because you never know when someone may really be in danger.