Choose to Lose
What are the improvements for the Spring 2015 session?
Choose to Lose will be held in the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center (STWFC) Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30 PM-6:30 PM. To participate in Choose to Lose this Spring, you have to meet the following criteria:
- Become a member of the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center
- Be a full-time faculty or staff member
- Complete questionnaires after you register for the program
- Complete a pre-assessment appointment (scheduled after you register)
- Body fat composition of greater than 30 percent for women and greater than 25 percent for men.
Choose to Lose is now open to everyone, no matter how many times you have participated in the past. Please note that some lessons will be duplicated from previous semesters.
There are various membership options available for full-time faculty and staff at the Strom. Visit the website to learn more about membership and fees: http://campusrec.sc.edu/wfc/membership/ or email Kim Dozier at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns. Note: All employees are eligible for a free 30 day trial at the STWFC. We encourage you to complete the membership process by January 23, 2015.
How long does Choose to Lose last?
Choose to Lose is a 9 week weight management program that begins Tuesday, January 27, 2015 and ends on Thursday, March 26, 2015 in the Martial Arts Room of the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Fitness Center.
What is Choose to Lose?
This 9-week program focuses on creating a solid foundation for losing weight in a healthy, sustainable way. Through the use of health coaches, participants follow the Four Pillars of Choose to Lose Success:
1. Accountability for your actions and behaviors
2. Attendance at every Choose to Lose session
3. Commitment to the overall program from beginning to end
4. Tracking your food intake and weight through weekly check-ins
The program is designed for individuals seeking assistance with healthy lifestyle changes. This program includes weekly contact and communication with your health coach and a significant commitment of time and effort from you! We know making lifestyle and attitude changes are not easy – our staff is committed to helping you when you are ready!
What does Choose to Lose offer?
· Twice per week education and cardiovascular workout sessions
· Regular logging of food intake and physical activity to discover behavioral patterns
· Access to reliable nutrition, exercise and health/wellness resources and tools
· Supportive environment within a group setting
· Small group and one-on-one coaching and support
What have past participants said about Choose to Lose?
· “CTL was extremely beneficial to me. I learned exercises that I could do at home and I am motivated to continue!”
· “Choose to Lose covered all that I needed in order to start and continue a program that will fit in my life style.”
· “I loved my coaches and they were 100% supportive. They helped me with my motivation skills, were always communicating with me and keeping me encouraged that I can accomplish my goals. They are always kind and considerate to everyone! They were an awesome team. Sad to see Choose to Lose program come to an end. It was awesome! New beginnings!”
Choose to Lose was recognized as the 2011 Outstanding Wellness Program for Higher Education Professionals recipient by the American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
How do I register for Choose to Lose?
You must register for Choose to Lose by January 16, 2015 to participate.
Registrations are accepted on a first-come basis and program capacity is limited to 30 participants in each program.
For individuals who do not qualify for Choose to Lose or cannot meet in person, you can now participate in the new Choose to Lose Online program at http://www.sa.sc.edu/shs/cw/ctlonline/
*Registration for the student weight management program, G.S.W.A.G. can be accessed online at http://www.sa.sc.edu/shs/cw/gswag/ or call the Campus Wellness office in the Strom at 803-576-9393.