MedGem® Metabolic Testing
The MEDGEM is currently unavailable due to scheduled maintenance. Please check back after July 15 to make an appointment
Have you ever wondered how many calories your body needs daily for adequate energy and weight control? Campus Wellness now has the technology available to help you assess your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) with MedGem® metabolic testing equipment. In conjunction with a nutrition consultation, RMR information can help you with your weight management efforts.
What is the MedGem®?
MedGem® is a small hand-held device that measures an individual’s resting metabolic rate through oxygen consumption. A person’s RMR is the amount of calories the body burns throughout the day in order to function properly. In essence, it is the minimum amount of calories a person needs to consume per day. Daily activities will lead to the body burning additional calories which are not included in the RMR results.
Why measure RMR?
You wouldn’t spend money from your bank account without first knowing how much money you have to spend, so why would you eat without knowing how many calories you have to expend when you’re trying to lose weight? An individual’s RMR is unique and can account for up to 75% of the calories burned each day; the remaining 25% is influenced by activities of daily living and physical activity. Knowing your unique RMR allows you to establish a calorie budget that will help you reach your weight loss goals without the one-size-fits-all approach.
What do I need to do?
Schedule a morning appointment with a campus dietitian for “metabolic testing” by calling the Thomson Student Health Center at 803-777-3175. The actual test will last 10-15 minutes and will require breathing into a small handheld machine. You will receive your results and an explanation during a one-on-one consultation with the dietitian following the procedure. Prior to the test:
Rest for 10-15 minutes.
Do not eat, exercise, drink caffeinated beverages for 4 hours before the test
Do not consume nutritional stimulants, including ephedra,
Ma Huang or pseudoephedrine for 4 hours before the test.
Do not use nicotine for at least 1 hour before the test.
Is there a fee?
There will be a $25 fee for students and $75 fee for faculty and staff. This fee includes a nutrition consultation. Testing and consultation will last approximately one hour.
Who should try MedGem®?
If you are struggling with weight control, the MedGem® may be for you. To find out if this service is right for you, contact the campus dietitians.
To have your metabolic rate assessed, please call the Thomson Student Health Center at 803-777-3175 and request a metabolic testing appointment.