evaluate research resources meet

Suspension Facts

Learn more about academic suspension at USC.

General Suspension Information
How long is the suspension period if it is my first time being suspended?

  • If you are suspended after the spring semester, your suspension period is the following summer and fall semesters.
  • If you are suspended after the fall semester, your suspension period is the following spring and summer semesters.

How long is the suspension period if it is my second time being suspended (indefinite suspension)?

  • The duration of a second suspension, or indefinite suspension, is a minimum of two years.

If I take classes at another institution during my period of suspension, will I be able to transfer those credits?

  • Credits will likely not transfer from any other institution taken during a USC suspension period.
  • The quality of grades taken at another institution may affect the decision for readmission.
  • The suspension period should be used to reassess your situation and reorder priorities. Taking classes at another institution is not recommended.
  • If you choose to take classes at another institution, be sure to keep your syllabi in case they are needed to evaluate potential transfer credit.

How can I be readmitted to USC if I have less than a 2.0 GPA?

  • Readmission to the program in which you were previously enrolled is not automatic. It is likely that you will need to petition to an academic department for readmission. The Admissions Office will let you know after reviewing your application and will send you the necessary paperwork.
Academic Policies and Procedures
Undergraduate students unable to meet the standards shown below are suspended from the University of South Carolina for one fall or spring semester and the contiguous summer (approximately eight months). Undergraduate students have the right to appeal their suspension to the petitions committee of the college or school in which they were enrolled when suspended.academicpolicies
Important Deadlines
It is very important that you pay close attention to the due dates for the readmission application. More information can be found at the Admissions website.When is my application for readmission due?

  • If you are suspended for the spring semester and following summer, the application is due on July 1.
    If you are suspended for the fall semester and the preceding summer, the application is due on November 1.
Financial Aid Information
Applying for Financial Aid
To apply for federal financial aid at USC Columbia, you must complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA is available each year on January 1st; you will use the FAFSA for the fall, spring, and summer semesters of the following academic year.You can find more information on the Financial Aid websiteSatisfactory Academic Progress
To be eligible to receive any federal and/or state need-based financial aid, undergraduate students must adhere to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarship’s (OSFAS) Policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress. This policy also includes Private Education Loans. The intent of this policy is to ensure that undergraduate students who are receiving federal and state financial aid for their education are making measurable progress toward completion of a degree in a reasonable period of time.Undergraduate students, in order to complete an undergraduate degree within the prescribed time allowed, would need to enroll for at least 15 credit hours per semester (fall and spring) not to exceed a total of 180 hours, and successfully earn (pass) 67 percent of all hours attempted. A minimum of a 2.0 cumulative USC GPA is also required.You can find more information on the Satisfactory Academic Progress website on the Financial Aid site.  You will also need to have an appointment with the Academic Centers for Excellence as part of your appeal.  For more information and to schedule your appointment, please visit their website.Return to top

While on Suspension

You are not alone! If you are not ready to discuss your experience or future plans with someone close to you.  FreshStart staff members may also be very useful in helping you process through this experience and can help you develop future plans.

What do I do first?
When you find out about your suspension, please take some time to reflect on this experience.Ask yourself:

  • What were some obstacles I encountered?
  • Where do I want to go from here?
  • Can I overcome these obstacles in the future if I return to USC?
  • What will I do during my suspension period?

After some reflection, find someone close who can help you process your experience and can support you in making your own important decisions about your future.  Be honest, but realistic about your goals and plans for the future.

What do I do while I’m suspended?
Stay engaged! Find a job or some activities within your community that keep you active. Such activities might focus on service, academic, and/or work-related experiences. Think about what career goals you may have for the future and seek out activities that will give you greater insight into your chosen career field. The Career Center may be a helpful resource!Throughout your suspension, reflect on your experiences by asking yourself some of the following questions:

  • Have my engagement opportunities provided me further insight or assurance of my life goals?
  • What qualifications and/or skills will I need to reach my goals?
  • Will I need to return to USC to earn a degree in order to advance towards my life goals?
  • What have I missed about USC? What am I looking forward to enjoying again at USC?

Please make sure you are still periodically checking your USC e-mail account.

I’m ready to return to USC. Now what?
If you are reapplying for admission for the fall semester, your application is due by July 1. If you are reapplying for admission for the spring semester, your application is due by November 1.If you wish to return to USC, you will need to decide which major you intend to be readmitted as. You can speak to an Admissions Counselor to learn more about the academic options available at USC. Cross Campus Advising is also a wonderful resource to help you plan your academic future at USC. You can schedule an appointment online call the Student Success Center at 803.777.0684 to make a Cross Campus Advising appointment.You may also need to think about reapplying for financial aid. Please visit the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships website for more information.Return to top

Readmission Process

To learn more about USC’s Readmission process, please visit the Undergraduate Admissions, by clicking here.
Return to top

Returning to USC

When are you are readmitted, you will be placed on probation. In order to avoid a second suspension, you must achieve a 2.5 GPA each semester until your cumulative USC GPA reaches above the level at which suspension would occur. Please refer to the Academic Standards policies for more information. You will also be required to schedule and attend an appointment with an ACE Academic Success Coach.

Your ACE Coaching Appointment
When you return, you will be required to schedule and attend an ACE Coaching appointment within the first six weeks of the semester.  If you do not have your appointment within the first six weeks of the semester, a hold will be placed on your course registration for the following semester. This will prohibit you from registering for courses the following semester. You can schedule your appointment online or call 777.1000.During your appointment, you will meet with a graduate student who has been trained as an Academic Success Coach. ACE Coaches will help you create a success plan, set goals, and share resources to reach your academic goals inside and outside the classroom.
Advisement and Course Scheduling
Upon re-enrollment, you will be able to schedule for courses.  At this point, however, it may be difficult to schedule courses, since many you might need to take may already be filled.  This would be a crucial time to speak with an advisor to make sure that the classes you enroll in will count towards your major and are courses that will best suit you during your first semester back.  Also, if you have been away from USC for longer than eight months, program requirements may have changed. Please refer to the Academic Bulletin for the most up to date requirements.
Financial Aid, Tuition, and Fees
If you will be receiving federal funding and you have over sixty credit hours, you must have a USC cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.  If you do not have the university satisfactory GPA, in order to receive your financial aid, you must complete an appeal through the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships.  Please refer to the office’s Satisfactory Academic Progress website for information on this process.  You will also need to have an appointment with the Academic Centers for Excellence as part of your appeal.  For more information and to schedule your appointment, please visit their website.  Additionally, The Office of the Bursar is the office that is in charge of tuition and fees. If you have any questions or concerns regarding tuition and fees, the Bursar will be able to help.
Connecting with Campus Resources
There are lots of resources on campus that can help you be successful!

  • If you were previously registered with the office of Student Disability Services please contact them again to make sure your documentation is still on file. If you were not previously registered but have a documented learning, mental, emotional, or physical disorder, registering with their office will be very beneficial. You can contact SDS at 77.6142.
  • The Student Success Center offers free peer tutoring and supplemental instruction for a variety of classes. You can find more information at the Student Success Center website.
  • There are lots of ways to get involved on campus! Research shows that students who are more involved on campus perform better academically. Visit the Student Organizations website to learn more about opportunities for involvement on campus.
  • If you have questions about on campus housing, please visit the University Housing website.

Return to top