Information for Undergraduate Students
How can I benefit from attending SI sessions?
- Earn higher course grades
- Develop efficient methods of studying course material
- Enhance study skills
- Collaborate with classmates to improve understanding of content
- Receive tips from SI leaders who have previously taken the course
What is expected of undergraduate students who attend SI sessions?
- Regularly attend class. SI provides support for the class, but is not a replacement for attending class or talking to your professor.
- Bring class notes, textbook, and questions. SI sessions involve each student in a discussion of the most recent lecture material and provide you with opportunities to practice what you are learning.
- Regularly attend SI. Students who attend regularly are more likely to earn higher grades in the course.
- Have fun! SI sessions provide a comfortable, informal environment for you to share information and learn from your classmates.
Why was my class selected for SI?
Courses selected for SI are introductory courses in which undergraduate students are expected to perform well in order to progress in their major and/or meet their program’s requirements. SI is available to assist undergraduate students in learning the course material and performing well in the class.
What other academic support resources are available free of charge?
- Tutoring in the Student Success Center provides group and individual tutoring for students enrolled in select courses.
- The Math Tutoring Center provides tutoring in 100-level math courses.
- Academic Centers for Excellence provide writing consultations, tutoring in 100-level math courses, and academic skills coaching.
- The Writing Center provides undergraduate students with feedback on their writing.
How can I become an SI leader?
We recruit for SI leaders each semester. In order to apply for a SI leader position, please check our website in mid-September and early February each semester. The application will be posted on the SI homepage and should be turned in to the Student Success Center. A faculty recommendation form also accompanies the application and must be submitted at the same time as your application.
Upon receipt of the application, all candidates must attend an Information session and sign up for an individual interview.
What are the benefits of becoming an SI leader?
- Gain an enhanced understanding of the subject
- Prepare for MCAT and other entrance/ certification exams by intensively reviewing course material
- Gain transferable skills relevant to your future employment, such as effective communication, organization, and facilitation skills
- Enhance your leadership skills
- Develop relationships with faculty members
- Serve as a resource for other undergraduate students
|For more information, contact:
Student Success Center
803-777-1000 or email@example.com