As faculty members, you serve as ambassadors of the Carolinian Creed. This webpage outlines ways to incorporate the Creed into your work at the University.
1. Add a statement about living the Creed to your syllabus
- The community of scholars at the University of South Carolina is dedicated to personal and academic excellence. Choosing to join the community obligates each member to the Carolinian Creed. Academic dialogue and civil discourse are the cornerstone of the educational system and crucial to individual growth. Students are encouraged to practice personal and academic integrity, respect the rights and dignity of all persons, respect the rights and property of others, discourage bigotry, while striving to learn from differences in people, ideas, and opinions, and demonstrate concern for others, their feelings, and their need for conditions which support their work and development.
2. Print the Creed on the back of your department’s business cards
3. To decrease instances of academic dishonesty, ask students to write, “I will practice personal and academic integrity” on the front page of their exam booklet
4. Have students participate in the Creed & Diversity Week contest in November
5. Utilize our forms below to:
- Request presentations
- Request a copy of the Carolinian Creed
- Recognize faculty, staff or students who embody the Carolinian Creed
6. Download a Carolinian Creed e-mail signature
I will practice personal and academic integrity
I will respect the dignity of all persons
I will respect the rights and property of others
I will discourage bigotry, while striving to learn from differences in people,ideas, and opinions
I will demonstrate concern for others, their feelings, and their need for conditions which support their work and development