Leadership & Service Awards
The Leadership and Service Center will be hosting the annual Leadership & Service Awards on April 13, 2017. This ceremony is designed to recognize outstanding students, student organizations, faculty, staff and local professionals that exemplify leadership or community service.
Below is the listing of all awards and their corresponding application/nomination forms. Please note you must login to Garnet Gate to complete the nomination and application form. All faculty, staff, and students can login to this system with their University of South Carolina username and password.
2017 Leadership & Service Awards:
The Carolinana Award recognizes senior undergraduate students who have been the tireless, behind the scenes workers that every successful activity or organization needs. They are leaders through their actions and contributions to the Carolina community.
The Jessica Horton Outstanding New Student Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who has contributed significantly to the Carolina community through active involvement in co-curricular activities.
These four scholarship awards are given to outstanding students in the areas of leadership and service:
- Strom Thurmond/Steve Cannon Carolina Cares Scholarship recognizes a worthy undergraduate who has made significant contributions to the Carolina and surrounding area through community service.
- Rosemary Broadway Award recognizes a full time student, undergraduate or graduate, who is actively involved in community service. Rosemary Broadway was an advocate of off-campus students and the award was established in her name to recognize service contributions by off-campus students.
- Wilson‐Kibler Bicentennial Award recognizes a student whose demonstrated leadership abilities and experience have contributed to student life.
- Rev. O. Woody Hammett Scholarship was established in honor of Rev. O. Woody Hammett, who served the University of South Carolina as Baptist Campus Minister from 1962-1995. This scholarship is awarded to a rising sophomore, junior or senior who has demonstrated proven leadership experience within the university community and has affiliation and involvement with campus Christian organizations and/or a local community of faith.
There are four awards that recognize the accomplishments of outstanding student organizations:
- Student Organization of the Year recognizes a student organization that has made a lasting impact upon the Carolina Community, fostered leadership opportunities for its members, and upheld the organization’s mission and values.
- Outstanding Student Service Organization Award recognizes student organizations that are role models for other organizations based on their quality of service, amount of time and effort devoted to service projects.
- Advisor of the Year recognizes faculty and staff members in the Carolina community who are committed to supporting their student organization and fostering leadership abilities in students. The advisement of the student organization must not be a part of their official job description.
There are two individual awards that recognize student leaders for their service contributions to the Carolina community. Students can apply for all of these awards.
- Outstanding Student Volunteer Award recognizes students who have made an outstanding contribution to the community and university through service.
- Presidential Volunteer Service Award recognizes undergraduate and graduate students who have contributed 100 plus hours of community service during the last 12 months. This national award from The President’s Council of Service and Civic Participation honors Americans who, by their demonstrated commitment and example, inspire others to engage in volunteer service.
There are four awards that honor outstanding faculty, staff, and professionals in the University of South Carolina community.
- The Advisor of the Year Award recognizes faculty and staff members in the Carolina community who are committed to supporting their student organization and fostering leadership abilities in students. Nominees must be current University of South Carolina employees who are currently serving as an official faculty advisor for a student organization.
- The Outstanding Faculty or Staff Volunteer Award recognizes a member of the University of South Carolina faculty or staff who has made an outstanding contribution to the community and university through service.
- The USC Ambassador of Service Award is presented to an administrative official at the Director, Chair, Dean or Executive level of USC Administration for exemplary leadership and involvement in promoting and performing community service.
- The Outstanding Service-Learning Award honors a faculty member who has integrated service-learning into their classes. Service-Learning is the thoughtful integration of community service into academic study.
- The Outstanding Service Professional Award honors a staff member from a local non-profit agency for their work with University of South Carolina students, faculty and staff. This is an attempt to recognize those individuals who work to serve our community every day.