Follow these tips for a smooth move out experience:
- Remove all your belongings and clean the property thoroughly.
- Take photos of the condition you are leaving it in.
- Donate gently used furniture and household items.
- Most local thrift shops accept drop-off donations: Goodwill, Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity Restore, Palmetto Thrift Store, Pets Inc. Thrift Store, Columbia SC Teen Challenge SuperThrift and many more!
- You also schedule a donation pick-up from these organizations: Salvation Army– (803) 748-9964, Habitat for Humanity Restore– (803) 936-0090, Palmetto Thrift Store – (803) 750-6858.
- Many students sell items on: Tradeversity, USC Free and For Sale, Craigslist, and Let Go.
- Place all trash and recycling on the curb for pickup. If you have large bulk trash (appliances, furniture, etc.), it can most likely be picked up the same day as curbside trash pick-up. Find out what day your trash is picked up here: http://columbiasc.net/solid-waste/recycling/waste-wizard.
- Call and have utilities (water, electricity, gas, cable, internet) taken out of your name.
- Return your keys to your landlord.
- Provide your landlord with an address to send the returned security deposit.
- Note: Security deposits must be returned within 30 days of moving out or you asking for your deposit back, whichever is later. If you do not receive any or some of your deposit back, the landlord must provide you a list explaining the damages. If you believe that your deposit has been unjustly withheld, set up an appointment with Student Legal Services to discuss the situation and your rights.