August Orientation Information!
Parking for New Student Orientation will be in the Bull Street Garage. Check-in for New Student Orientation will take place from 7:30-8:15amm in the Russell House.
For other important locations during New Student Orientation make sure to visit our Directions page. New Student Orientation will last until approximately 5:00pm, so please plan accordingly.
At check-in you will receive your comprehensive schedule, and a light continental breakfast will be served during the check-in period.
Before you arrive:
- Watch the Pre-Orientation Advising Module and complete your Pre-Orientation Advising Worksheet for Freshmen or Transfer Students if you are transferring from another institution. The module will prepare you for academic advising as well as help you complete you Advising Worksheet.
- Take your Math Placement Test online. The exam is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, so it may be taken at your convenience. This should be done at least 2 weeks prior to your New Student Orientation session. For more information, visit http://assess.math.sc.edu/public/MPTGuide.pdf
- Register to take your Foreign Language Placement Test. Testing is scheduled to occur the day before each session begins. You may not take the FLPE during your orientation session. Language placement testing is administered on campus and by appointment only. You must register in advance for your test, and please note that signing up for a language test is a SEPARATE process from registration for New Student Orientation. For more information and to register for your placement exam, visit http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/dllc/faq or call
- Remember to like us on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter.
Packing and Planning:
- You must bring a government issued ID, so that you may obtain your Carolina Card.
- Students will need your VIP ID and password throughout orientation, so please plan to memorize it or write it down in advance of your session.
- Bring relative correspondence including transcripts, AP/IB scores, immunization records, Advising Worksheet, etc.
- Remember to wear/bring comfortable clothing and walking shoes- plan on some walking throughout the session. If you or any of your guests do not have the ability to walk distances of several blocks or up and down stairs, please include that information in the “Special Accommodations” section on the reservation form so that we can accommodate you accordingly.
- You may wish to bring a sweater or sweatshirt as buildings are air-conditioned and may vary in temperature.
- You may also want to bring an umbrella and/or rain jacket because Columbia is prone to summer afternoon rain showers.
- Carolina Dining will provide breakfast and lunch during the New Student Orientation session, so you will not need to plan your own meals during this time. As a reminder, if you have any food allergies or dietary restrictions, please make us aware of that in the “Special Accommodations” section of the reservation form so we can have appropriate meals available for you.