Transfer Program Information!
Parking for New Student Orientation will be in the Bull Street Garage.
Check-in for New Student Orientation will take place in Russell House University Union beginning at 7:00am. Russell House is directly across the street from the Bull Street Garage.
Please note that there is construction on Blossom Street by Bull Street and you cannot make a left turn from Blossom Street onto Bull Street. There are additional directions below explaining how to avoid the construction on your way to Bull Street Garage.
Bull Street Garage Parking:
From I-126: Take the exit onto Huger Street and turn left onto Gervais Street. You’ll drive on Gervais Street for approximately one mile and make a right turn onto Pickens Street. Follow Pickens Street all the way down to Blossom Street and turn right. Bull Street will be the first road on your right.
For other important locations during New Student Orientation make sure to visit our Directions page. New Student Orientation will last until approximately 5:00pm, so please plan accordingly.
At check-in you will receive your comprehensive schedule, and a light continental breakfast will be served during the check-in period.
If you selected to spend the night prior to New Student Orientation on campus (pre-event accommodations), you will report to Patterson Hall for room check-in. Preferred check-in time for overnight accommodations is between 2:00 and 4:00PM. Conference Housing can be reached at 803-777-6636 if you need to make special arrangements for a later check-in.
Before you arrive:
- Watch the Pre-Orientation Advising Module and complete your Advising Worksheet. The module will prepare you for academic advising as well as help you complete you Advising Worksheet.
- Take your Math Placement Test online. The exam is available 24 hours a day/7 days a week, so it may be taken at your convenience. This should be done at least 2 weeks prior to your New Student Orientation session. For more information, visit http://assess.math.sc.edu/public/MPTGuide.pdf
- Register to take your Foreign Language Placement Test. Testing is scheduled to occur the day before each session begins. You may not take the FLPE during your orientation session. Language placement testing is administered on campus and by appointment only. You must register in advance for your test, and please note that signing up for a language test is a SEPARATE process from registration for New Student Orientation. For more information and to register for your placement exam, visit http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/dllc/faq or call
- Remember to like us on Facebook.
- Follow us on Twitter.
Packing and Planning:
- You must bring a government issued ID, so that you may obtain your Carolina Card.
- Students will need your VIP ID and password throughout orientation, so please plan to memorize it or write it down in advance of your session
- Bring relative correspondence including transcripts, AP and IB scores, immunization records, Advising Worksheet, etc.
- Remember to wear/bring comfortable clothing and walking shoes- plan on a significant amount of walking throughout the orientation session. If you or any of your guests do not have the ability to walk distances of several blocks or up and down stairs, please include that information in the “Special Accommodations” section on the reservation form so that we can accommodate you accordingly.
- You may wish to bring a sweater or sweatshirt as buildings are air-conditioned and may vary in temperature.
- You may also want to bring an umbrella and/or rain jacket because Columbia is prone to summer afternoon rain showers.
- Carolina Dining will provide your meals throughout the New Student Orientation session, so you will not need to plan your own meals during this time.