Assistive Technology Lab
USC Student Disability Services
Byrnes Building, Rooms 307/308
Hours 8:30am – 5:00pm (Monday – Friday)
Additional hours available upon request!
The Assistive Technology (AT) Lab is equipped with state-of-the-art accessible workstations designed to aid students with disabilities. The specialized software can accommodate students with hearing, visual, learning, and mobility impairments. The lab offers trained staff to provide personal attention when needed. Staff can also help you learn to use accessible technology.
Smartpen Release of Equipment Form – This form should be completed when checking out a smartpen.
Release of Equipment Form – This form should be completed when checking out loaned assistive technology devices.
What's in the Lab??
Software and hardware are available to help Gamecocks succeed!
- Screen Magnifier/Reader: ZoomText
- Screen Reader: JAWS (Job Access With Speech)
- Speech-to-Text: Dragon NaturallySpeaking
- Read&Write Gold: Mobile software that provides text-to-speech, speech-to-text, graphic organizer, study skills tools, and more
- Video Magnifier
- FM Loop – Helps hearing-impaired students understand professors better.
- Talking Calculator
- Portable Digital Talking Book Players
- Intellikeys Keyboard – Designed for students with physical disabilities (e.g. Cerebral Palsy)
- Livescribe Smartpens – A writing pen that records and links audio to notes written in a specialized notebook (you never miss a word!)
Alternative Media Services
- Complete Textbook Conversions – Textbooks converted to Braille, large print, audio, and e-text (Microsoft Word documents or PDF files)
- Pictures-In-A-Flash (PIAF) – Produces raised surface pictures from textbooks for blind students
- Braille Embosser
- High-Speed Scanner
- Guillotine Textbook Ream Cutter
- Binding Machine
Drop by today. We'll be glad to help!