Internship Application Process
The University of South Carolina, Student Health Services, Counseling & Psychiatry is a participant in the Association of Psychology Postdoctoral and Internship Centers’ (APPIC) Match for Psychology Internships through the National Matching Services. Our program agrees to abide by the APPIC policy that no person at this training facility will solicit, accept or use any ranking-related information from any intern applicant. As such, we utilize the APPIC Application for Psychology Internships (AAPI) which can be found online at www.appic.org Our APPIC Match Program (Match Code: 1553)
- Online applications must be completed and available for review by our Application Due Date of November 1, 2017.
APPIC Application for Psychology Internship (AAPI), available online at www.appic.org
- Letter of intent/application
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant's clinical performance
- Graduate school transcripts.
- Current Curriculum Vitae
In order to be considered candidates must:
- Current enrollment in an APA-accredited (or CPA-accredited) doctoral program in counseling or clinical psychology.
- Successful completion of doctoral comprehensive exams.
- Completion of a minimum of 450 intervention hours from practica by November 1, and a minimum of 1,200 total practicum hours. Refer to the AAPI for what are included under "Intervention Experience." These hours may also include practicum training accrued during a terminal masters program. On the other hand, although we value applicants' non-practicum clinical work in mental health services (e.g., jobs, volunteer work) as a helpful indicator of applicants' overall background and experience in the field, hours of non-practicum services should not be counted towards this criterion.
- Approval by the academic training program verifying readiness for internship.
- Completion of all required coursework and practica prior to the starting date of the internship.
- Favorable consideration will be given to applicants who will have completed or made substantial progress toward. completion of their dissertation by the start of the internship year.
The internship selection process involves two steps.
Step One - Is a review of application materials. Following this review, our selection committee identifies a list of 24 applicants who are judged as having experiences and goals that are a "good fit" with the training expectations and opportunities at our site. We will notify applicants about selection as finalists by December 15.
Step Two – Entails participating in a Skype interview. Intern applicants to be interviewed are contacted by phone and given options for interview dates, typically occurring from Jan 2nd through Jan 8th. Interviews are 90 minutes in length total and are conducted by SKYPE. Candidates are interviewed in two consecutive periods of about 45 minutes each by 2 different teams of 2-3 CHDC staff and current interns. Each interview team has a different list of questions for the candidates, and a little time is afforded for questions from the candidate. Candidates will also have a 15 minute question and answer session with our current interns post interview. Candidates with further questions about our program should review our materials on this website and at the APPIC site at www.appic.org
We look forward to receiving your application and wish you success in the internship application process.
Sterling P. Watson, Psy.D
Asst. Director of Training Director
Student Health Services Counseling & Psychiatry
University of South Carolina
1409 Devine St.
Columbia, SC 29208
Office - 803-777-5223
FAX - 803-777-5433
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org