STRESS & ANXIETY
Stress and anxiety are normal parts of life. They let us know when we need to adapt or take action. Stress can have a positive impact on the preparation for a test, performance for an assignment or other similar activities. However, too much stress can lead to mental or physical problems. Excessive anxiety may prevent us from completing the tasks we need to succeed. College and its related obligations create many sources of stress. Some students may feel like they do not have the resources to overcome this stress and develop anxiety about resolving these feelings of stress.
What are some warning signs of excessive stress and anxiety?
- Excessive weight gain/loss
- Sudden illness
- Increased risky behaviors
- Racing thoughts/forgetfulness
- Sleep disturbances
What resources are on campus to help reduce stress/anxiety?
- Campus Wellness offers one-on-one stress management consultations at the Center for Health and Well-Being (first floor)
Contact: 803-576-9393 or www.sa.sc.edu/shs/cw/students/stressmanagement
- Student Health Services hosts a number of stress-related presentations and workshops: www.sa.sc.edu/shs/cw/students/presentations
- Counseling and Psychiatry offers individual, couples and group counseling in addition to psychiatric assessment, consultation and medication management. Most of these services are included in your student health fee: www.sa.sc.edu/shs/cp
- Campus Recreation offers group exercise classes: campusrec.sc.edu/group-exercise-classes
- Student Health Services sponsors a “De-Stress Fest” each semester, usually around finals week: www.sa.sc.edu/shs/events
- UofSC has designated “FitWalk” paths throughout various parts of campus: www.sa.sc.edu/healthycarolina/initiatives/paths
- Green Quad offers free yoga: www.sc.edu/greenquad
What other resources have good stress-reduction tips?
- Anxiety & Depression Association of America – College Anxiety Tips: www.adaa.org/living-with-anxiety/college-students
- National Institute of Mental Health: www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/anxiety-disorders/index.shtml
- Campus Mind Works, University of Michigan: www.campusmindworks.org/students/self_care/managing_stress.asp
- Guided meditations: www.marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22
- Half of Us: www.halfofus.com/feeling/anxious
- Ulifeline: www.ulifeline.org/topics/132-anxiety-disorders