Physical Activity & Exercise
Did you know that only 50% of USC students are getting the recommended amount of physical activity and exercise every week to stay healthy? Are you getting enough? The benefits of regular exercise and activity go on and on, including:
- Feeling more energetic,
- Attaining or maintaining healthy body weight,
- Improving your mood,
- Getting better quality sleep, and
- Decreasing your risk of chronic disease, illness and injury
Services offered by Campus Wellness – we can help you take advantage of all the benefits being active has to offer!
Body Fat Percentage Measurement (calipers testing):
- 15 minute appointment
- Body fat calculated based on age, gender, bodyweight, and 7 measurements using calipers
- More accurate than BIA (handheld device)
- 60 minute appointment
- Blood pressure, heart rate, body fat, submaximal cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and flexibility
- Guided interpretation of results from trained staff about recommended exercise/activity levels and resources for you, which are great for increasing/changing activity levels.
- Recommended (but not required) prior to exercise consultations
- FREE** to students, faculty and staff at Strom Thurmond Wellness & Fitness Center with a valid Carolina Card
(fitness assessments are not available at the Blatt P.E. Center at this time)
SCHEDULE an APPOINTMENT TODAY!
Call or stop by Campus Wellness for more information or to make an appointment:
Thomson Building, room 202: 803-576-9393
**Services are provided FREE to students, faculty and staff; however, a $15 no-show fee applies if you make an appointment and do not keep it. No fees will be applied if you cancel or reschedule your appointment at least 24-hours ahead of time.
More Information about Physical Activity and Exercise!
Physical Activity Guidelines
Cardiovascular (Aerobic) Exercise:
- Minimum recommended amount for health is 30 minutes of moderate activity 5 days per week
- OR 20-25 minutes of vigorous activity 3 days per week (75 minutes per week).
- Cardio activities include: running, bicycling, dancing, brisk walking, exercise machines (e.g., elliptical and stepping machines) or anything else that gets your heart beating and your blood pumping!
- Recommendations include doing some type of resistance training on 2-3 days per week for your major muscle groups
- Strength (resistance) training activities include: lifting free weights, weight machines, body-weight exercises (such as push-ups or pull-ups), using other equipment (e.g., Pilates, TRX, resistance bands) or anything else that challenges your muscles more than your daily activities do!
- Recommendations include doing some type of stretching on 2-3 days per week for your major muscle groups and joints
- Flexibility training includes stretching after workouts, incorporating yoga or other stretching into your routine.
Other Campus Resources
Gamecock FitWalk Paths
Got time for a walk? Look up routes on campus here – interactive maps with distances and routes available.
Great opportunities to participate in Group Ex classes, intramurals teams, sports clubs, outdoor recreation activities, use the cardio equipment, pool, weight room and so much more.
Congaree National Park
Enjoy camping, fishing, canoeing and kayaking, hiking and many other outdoor activities to the Southeast of Columbia on the Congaree swamp.
Dreher Island State Park
Enjoy camping, fishing, boating, geocaching, biking, hiking and many other outdoor activities to the Northwest of Columbia on Lake Murray.
Sesquicentennial State Park
Enjoy camping, fishing, boating, geocaching, biking, hiking and many other outdoor activities to the Northeast of Columbia.
Three Rivers Greenway
Enjoy three nice trails for walking and biking right on the rivers next to Columbia. There are also some awesome events that take place on their venues as well!
Harbison State Forest
If you love hiking and mountain biking then this is your location!