Social Media Smarts
1. Social networking is a great way to meet new people, stay in touch with old friends and connect with the University of South Carolina. Visit the university's social media directory to keep up with the latest news on programs and events and to share your thoughts with the Carolina community.
2. Remember that university policies including the student code of conduct, as well as state and federal laws, apply online. You are responsible for what you say and do through social media just as you are in any other circumstances.
3. Uphold the Carolinian Creed. Respect others and their opinions, engage in civil discourse and discourage any behavior that threatens personal freedom or dignity.
4. Remember that regardless of your privacy settings, information you share online can become public. Avoid sharing your address, full birthdate, telephone number, class schedule and passwords. Don’t post obscene or tasteless material; it could come back to haunt you.
5. Think about your future. An increasing number of admissions officials and employers consider candidates’ social media activities in making their selections. Online behavior has been used to terminate employees and submitted into evidence in legal cases. Be responsible and be careful.