Former news editor earns Collegiate Journalist of the Year award
Students working at The Daily Gamecock’s editorial and advertising design offices earned 26 awards for excellence at the South Carolina Press Association’s 2017 Collegiate Meeting and Awards Presentation held in Florence, South Carolina on April 21, 2017.
Second-year journalism student and former news editor T. Michael Boddie earned the distinguished Collegiate Journalist of the Year award for his work done in the spring and fall 2016 semesters. As news editor, T. Michael led a team of reporters in covering the university and Columbia while reporting and writing other news and feature stories.
The Daily Gamecock staff was also awarded first place in the General Excellence category for the 8th time in the last 10 years.
The Daily Gamecock earned 10 other first-place awards including:
• Newspaper’s Use of Social Media
• Editorial Writing
• Student Government Beat Coverage
• Special Section or Edition
• Page One Design
• Specialty Page Design
• Arts and Entertainment Story
• Sports Story
• Photo Series or Photo Story
• Multimedia Story
Other awards earned include:
• Second place, Arts and Entertainment Story
• Second place, News Story
• Second place, Advertisement
• Second place, Specialty Page Design
• Second place, Photograph
• Second place, Sports Photograph
• Second place, Column Writing
• Third place, Advertisement
• Third place, Photo Series or Photo Story
• Third place, Sports Story
• Third place, Website
• Third place, Sports Photograph
The South Carolina Press Association is a non-profit organization founded in 1852 to represent newspapers in South Carolina. It provides a variety of services to the state’s newspaper industry including lobbying, editorial and management training, FOIA guidance and advertising representation. Currently, SCPA represents 100 weekly and daily newspapers in the state including 15 collegiate newspapers.
For more information, contact Sarah Scarborough, Director of Student Media, at 803-777-5064 or firstname.lastname@example.org.