Healthy Carolina’s Lactation Support Program is free of cost to all university faculty, staff, students, and their spouses. Its goal is to establish lactation support and management services while also creating opportunities for University of South Carolina mothers to meet the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations of breastfeeding for a total of 12 months. Services offered by the program include:
• Nursing Mother’s Lounges across campus for pumping or breastfeeding
• Learn-at-Lunches on breastfeeding, pregnancy, infant care, and proper
nutrition for mothers and baby
• Listserv and website resources
• Lending Library of breastfeeding and parenting books and resources
• The USC Lactation Policy
The program is always looking for additional space to utilize for their program in order to offer even more convenience and support to mothers at the university. If you have space in your building that is 4 feet by 6 feet in dimension or larger that you would consider using as a nursing mother's lounge, please contact Healthy Carolina.
If you or any of your employees and/or coworkers are currently pregnant or recently welcomed a baby and are interested in participating, please contact Katherine Kovich at: 803-777-1650 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a nursing mother and are interested in checking out a key to a Nursing Mother's Lounge on campus, please complete the Lactation Room Authorization Request Form located under the Nursing Mother's Lounges section below.
The goal of the Lactation Support Initiative is to establish lactation support services at the University.
This initiative is open to all faculty, staff and students at the university and consists of:
Lactation Support Policy
Learn at Lunch Seminars
Learn at Lunch Seminars are held approximately four times per semester and cover a range of topics relevant to new and expecting parents including nutrition for expecting and breastfeeding mothers, planning for childbirth, initiating breastfeeding, tips for maintaining a breastfeeding and pumping schedule after returning to work or class, and more! Seminar schedules are posted at the beginning of each semester. To be sure you are notified of upcoming Learn at Lunch Seminars, subscribe to our newsletter using the link at the top right corner of this page!
Breastfeeding classes with a board certified lactation consultant are available to all new mothers at USC returning to work or class through the Lactation Support Initiative. The class covers strategies and tips for returning to work while maintaining your breast milk supply. Please contact our office at 803-777-1650 or by emailing Kovich@mailbox.sc.edu to learn more and to sign-up for a class.
Nursing Mothers Lounges on Campus
- • Lactation Room Authorization Request Form
• Moore School of Business (Room 786)
• Wardlaw School of Education Room 212
• Byrnes (Room 604-E)
• Child Development and Research Center (Room 223)
• Thomas Cooper Library (Room L225 on Level 2)
• Gambrell Building (Room 322)
• 1600 Hampton Street (Contact Healthy Carolina for details)
• Swearingen Engineering Center (Room 1B46)
• USC School of Medicine (Room B107)
Don’t see your building listed?
Contact Healthy Carolina to discuss donating space to this program.
Click here to see a map of all the Nursing Mother's Lounges located on USC's Columbia Campus
• Breastfeeding Latch Video
• Moms, Babies and the Flu: What to do?
• Worksheets for Moms Planning to Breastfeed
• Tips for Breastfeeding Success
• Tips for Moms
• Tips for Dads
• Benefits of Breastfeeding
• Breastfeeding Benefits from Top to Bottom
• Challenges Breastfeeding Mothers face and Strategies that Work
• 101 Reasons to Breastfeed